2017/18 sporting excellence Award training dates announced
The training dates for Sporting Excellence Award camps have been announced. They are:
- 3 September 2017: Stoke Mandeville. 09.30 – 17.00
- 3 December 2017: Sutton Bonnington .9.30 – 17.00
- 27 January 2018: Stoke Mandeville. 09.30 – 17.00
- 18 March 2018: Stoke Mandeville. 09.30 – 1700
- 20 May 2018: Sutton Bonnington.09.30 – 17.00
- 15 July 2018: Stoke Mandeville 09.30 – 17.00
What is the Sporting excellence Award?
The Sporting Excellence Award is an exciting initiative that offers handball athletes aged 16-18 who have the potential to play at the top level to:
- Train in an elite environment, while
- Continuing in full-time education
The Sporting Excellence Award is delivered via six annual national training events which are supported by a variety of professionals in handball & sport science.
What does it cover?
The education programme examines:
- technical, tactical, physical and psychological aspects of handball
and areas such as:
- lifestyle management
- wider career management
- health and safety
What are the benefits?
- develop handball skills to a high standard and understand how to apply technical and tactical skills
- better understand how to manage their career, lifestyle and mental attitude
- be able to apply what they learn to a wide range of careers, especially sports science and coaching
and have the potential opportunity of:
- full-time, discounted placements at the Handball Academy in Denmark (Former GB Training Academy).
- England and GB Representation*
It also allows England Handball to measure how each athlete applies themselves to these areas.
You can find out more information regarding the Sporting Excellence Award programme by viewing the Sporting Excellence Award handbook.
Who is the Sporting Excellence award for?
To apply for the Sporting Execcelnce Award candidates must:
- be a member of an England Handball affiliated club
- have potential to represent youth and senior national teams
- hold a British passport
It is also desirable if candidates:
- have represented their county in England Handball’s County competition
- are a member of the England Handball's Regional Academy programme
- achieved A-C grades in GCSE maths and English language
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org